Re: encode-time vs decode-time

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: encode-time vs decode-time
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 15:31:20 -0400

> So I think the things up above there should really be calls to a new
> function `get-current-time', that returns the same thing as
> `(encode-time nil 'integer)'.  It should default to `integer', but can
> have an optional argument that says what form of "internal second time
> format" to return (i.e., `list', `t').

I tend to agree.  Also I think we should try and standardize the
representation of "internal second time" (presumably using the
rational (NUM . DENOM) representation).  So I think `get-current-time`
should just always return this representation, and those who need
another will just have to call `convert-time-format` explicitly.

        Stefan