Re: macOS/GCC support policy

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: macOS/GCC support policy
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 12:08:35 +0200

Am Fr., 2. Aug. 2019 um 08:57 Uhr schrieb Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:

> > Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2019 22:39:58 +0100
> > From: Alan Third <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden

> > > I don't think I understand the issue well enough to say anything
> > > intelligent.  What are "ObjC blocks", and why this patch cannot do
> > > without them?
> >
> > I found the previous thread about removing them from macfont.m:
> >
> >     https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2017-12/msg00301.html
>
> Thanks.
>
> What exactly prevents building with GCC on macOS?

I haven't investigated in detail, but when I try to run configure with
GCC 9 from Homebrew, I get the error message

checking AppKit/AppKit.h usability... no
checking AppKit/AppKit.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h:     section "Present But Cannot
Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to address@hidden ##
checking for AppKit/AppKit.h... no
configure: error: The include files (AppKit/AppKit.h etc) that
are required for a Nextstep build are missing or cannot be compiled.
Either fix this, or re-configure with the option '--without-ns'.