Re: master e7c1fa9: * doc/lispref/display.texi (SVG Images): Add menu fo

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master e7c1fa9: * doc/lispref/display.texi (SVG Images): Add menu for subsection.
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2019 19:45:47 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 17:01:12 -0400
>
> BTW, I wonder if keeping makeinfo-4 compatibility is worth it.
> I appreciate the significant speed-up of the older version,
> but it feels like compilation of doc/ not-infrequently breaks due to
> changes that are acceptable to perl-based makeinfo but not to the C
> version.

I don't have strong opinions about this.  I myself stopped using
makeinfo 4.x routinely long ago, since the Perl version (when used
with the C parser) is "fast enough" for me.  It is still about 5 times
slower than the C version, so if people who care about speed want us
to keep the compatibility, I'm willing to continue doing so as long as
it isn't a significant burden.