Re: master fe939b3 1/2: Fix reference to `tags-loop-continue' in doc str

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master fe939b3 1/2: Fix reference to `tags-loop-continue' in doc string
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 21:50:37 +0300

On 8/5/19 6:05 PM, Drew Adams wrote:

I would say "also useful" and "differently useful",
or "sometimes more useful" - not "more useful".

Is `occur' (show all matches, let you get directly
to any, in any order) more useful than incremental
search?

The question was about xref, not general Emacs usage. Since M-. is bound to xref-find-definitions, M-, should do the action that makes most sense for the former.

But I also recognize that a single tool - even a
good, flexible one - is not necessarily the best
tool for all jobs.

That is true, and we provide different commands and ways of interaction. But the number of useful, short key bindings is limited, and we have to make a good, consistent choices in that regard that would benefit the most users.

But why is it too late to rehabilitate the
`do the next thing' commands and their doc,
and give them key bindings once again?  Why
promote only `xref', essentially deprecating
the others?

I'm not seeing a specific proposal, like which keys exactly would you want to use. Maybe make a bug report specifically about that.

IIRC pop-tag-mark was bound to 'M-*'? It seems unused.

Why not promote (document, bind, etc.) both
approaches?  We don't denigrate Isearch just
because we have `occur'.

Because bindings loads of different commands to many different, long keybindings is not as useful as some people seem to think.

I'm convinced of the utility of `xref' (and
I always was).  I'm not convinced that the
existing commands/keys had to be sacrificed
in order to promote what you see as "more
useful" (even perhaps as best for all uses).

I wouldn't say that any commands were sacrificed.