Re: Shouldn't emacs print long lists with newlines?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Shouldn't emacs print long lists with newlines?
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 13:23:53 -0400

>> [ My minibuffer is exactly 1-line tall (and it's a separate frame, so
>>    Emacs is not allowed to grow it)
> Since you can now customize 'resize-mini-frames' this restriction no
> longer applies (at least not as stated here).

FWIW, resize-mini-frames doesn't work very well for me:

- at startup it resizes the frame to a one-line frame of maybe 10-20
  chars long, which is oddly short.  The length is updated on the fly,
  but I find this a bit annoying.  Nothing too serious tho.
- I have my minibuffer frame at the bottom of the screen.  When it grows
  to two or more lines, it correctly moves up.  But when it shrinks back
  to a single line, it doesn't move back down, so it ends up "near" the
  bottom rather than at the bottom.

The second problem is probably partly linked to the window-manager, but
I've found size-varying windows at the bottom of the screen to be poorly
handled under X11 in general (not only with the window-manager
I'm using), so I think I'd have to move my minibuffer-only frame to the
top of the screen to avoid those problem :-(

>> , so spreading the output on several
>>    lines is not always a good solution.  ]

So this still holds :-(

        Stefan