Re: Preloading seq.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Preloading seq.el
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 15:44:47 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 14:21:00 +0200
>
> Could we preload seq.el?
>
> Previous discussion here:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-07/msg00852.html
>
> In the previous discussion someone said that we would be punishing
> users that do not use it if we preloaded it.  It's not clear to me how
> this would punish users.

By enlarging the memory footprint of a running Emacs more than
necessary.

> Stefan Monnier also pointed out that seq.el depends on cl-lib, and
> that to preload seq, we would need to preload cl-lib.  This seems to
> be due to a single use of the  cl-subseq function in cl-extra.el.  If
> this is a show stopper, perhaps we could see if we can get rid of that
> single use.

I don't yet understand what problems do you have with having the
necessary functions from seq.el autoloaded.  Is the code you are
writing for help.el meant to run in every Emacs session right at its
beginning?  If not, why autoloading is not the solution?