Re: autoload cl-defstruct constructor?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: autoload cl-defstruct constructor?
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 15:25:29 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> If I add an autoload cookie to a cl-defstruct, running
>> update-directory-autoloads on the above gives:
>>
>> ---
>>
>> ;;; Generated autoloads from gnat-core.el
>>
>> (cl-defstruct gnat-compiler "\
>> Used with wisi-compiler-* generic functions." gpr-file run-buffer-name
>> project-path target runtime gnat-stub-opts gnat-stub-cargs)
>
> Oh, right, because when the autoloads are generated `cl-defstruct` is
> not defined at all.  If you run update-directory-autoloads from within
> a running Emacs where cl-lib is loaded, it will give you a result that's
> much closer to what you want.

Hmm. To build autoloads.el for ada-mode in my development tree, I run:

emacs -Q -batch --eval "(progn (require 'autoload)(require 'cl-lib)(setq
generated-autoload-file (expand-file-name
\"../autoloads.el\"))(update-directory-autoloads \"../\"))"

I just added the (require 'cl-lib), but I still get the same result for
a cl-defstruct:

--- autoloads.el

;;; Generated autoloads from gnat-core.el

(cl-defstruct gnat-compiler "\
Used with wisi-compiler-* generic functions." gpr-file run-buffer-name
project-path target runtime gnat-stub-opts gnat-stub-cargs)

(autoload 'create-gnat-compiler "gnat-core" "\
---

What am I missing?

We'll need to ensure package.el does the same when it generates
autoloads. Or is that done on the elpa server?

> Making cl-defstruct into an autoloaded macro would solve this part of
> the problem.

I guess that means adding a special case in make-autoload?

--
-- Stephe