Re: master 1d4862e: Fix English grammar in some doc strings and comments

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: master 1d4862e: Fix English grammar in some doc strings and comments
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 22:37:41 +0100

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 9:34 PM Joost Kremers <address@hidden> wrote:

> Says who? The original examples all sound perfectly natural, more
> natural than the corrections, in fact. Looks like one of those
> rules up with which we should not put.

My thoughts exactly. That seems like the kind of prescriptivist "rule" out of Strunk & White and the like, blindly and eagerly adopted by style guide's writers everywhere, but not based in any objective fact about the English language. Like the idea that you shouldn't split infinitives, or end sentences with prepositions, and passive must be avoided at almost any cost.