Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 21:43:00 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 18:37:53 +0000
>> Cc: Ergus <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>,
>>      Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>

>> > Same problem.  How about "match-emphasis"?
>>
>> First, I hope we don't confuse ourselves, there is a prefix implicit
>> here right? It's "completions" (or actually it should be "completion"
>> singular).  Apologies if I've been sloppy in using and not using
>> the full name.
>>
>> So I'm proposing "completion-emphasis", which we seem to agree
>> on
>
> Not really, no.

Why didn't you object to it 1..2..six mails ago?  You just said
"secondary-emphasis" is not a good name...  This makes us go in circles,
Eli.

One more time: my only goal in this entire giant conversation, is for
the 'flex' style to be able to transform this match on the pattern "foo":

  fabrobazor
           ^
           `- this letter is bold by default currently

into this:

  fabrobazor
  ^   ^   ^
  `---`---`----- I want these bold by default in the future

no change to the 'basic/prefix' completion.  If you don't agree to this
we can stop the discussion right here, no hard feelings, really no
problem.

Otherwise, if you do, then the only completion-related face that
currently has "bold" is completions-first-difference, which is a silly
name for this.  Should I alias that to "completions-match-emphasis",
your 3-mails-ago suggestion?  To something else?

Thanks in advance,
João