Re: master 1d4862e: Fix English grammar in some doc strings and comments

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 1d4862e: Fix English grammar in some doc strings and comments
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 05:33:26 +0100

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> For example, here's one of the changes Stephen installed:
>
> -If the value is `after-completion', confirmation is only
> - requested if the user called `minibuffer-complete' right before
> +If the value is `after-completion', confirmation is requested
> + only if the user called `minibuffer-complete' right before
>   `minibuffer-complete-and-exit'.
>
> This particular change makes it less likely that a reader will
> misinterpret the doc string as saying that confirmation is *requested*
> instead of being *required*.

Yes, that's a good change -- and that's not what's being objected to.
It's changes like this that's the problem:

> -This variable only applies to buffers where `buffer-file-name' is
> +This variable applies only to buffers where `buffer-file-name' is

But I know that this is a fruitless discussion: People with pet peeves
feel much more strongly about their peeves than the rest of us who
recognise this for what it is.  We can only roll our eyes when these
changes roll by, and feebly point to experts like Pullum in the hopes
that people will just, like, stop.

But of course they won't.