Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4449301: * etc/NEWS: Improve documentation of '

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4449301: * etc/NEWS: Improve documentation of 'package-initialize'.
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 17:07:07 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> > I started looking into package-enabe-at-startup, and of course the
> > above reasoning goes for package-load-list and package-user-dir; that
> > is, setting them via customize has no effect.
>
> Yes and no: you can set `package-load-list` and `package-user-dir` in
> your .emacs (and/or via customize) in order to affect the place where
> packages are later installed and also in order to affect a subsequent
> manual package-activate-all.
>
> Currently, this requires setting (setq package-alist nil) by hand to
> force reloading the package descriptors, but my hope is that we can
> improve this in the future (e.g. with a :setter placed on those vars so
> that package-activate-all is called again when they're modified via
> custom).

OK, thanks for explaining that.  I have attached a patch which changes
package-enable-at-startup into a defvar for now.

I've also added documentation to package-load-list and
package-user-dir to explain the above quirks.

Any comments?

> Also, a "late-setting" of `package-load-list` (e.g. when set via
> customize) will still work if you use `package-quickstart`.

I have two questions here:

1. I can't find anything on package-quickstart in the user manual.  Is
that intentional?  Perhaps it would make sense to create a new node
"initialization of packages" which could describe all this.

2. Should package-quickstart have a :set attribute with a value of
'package-quickstart-refresh?

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas