Re: evaluating numbers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: evaluating numbers
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 16:20:21 +0200

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 20:35:17 +0900
>
> > It's neither, because characters are integers in Emacs, and a
> > character is identical to its codepoint.
>
> How can I understand that ?

By reading the documentation, of course.

> I mean, what part of the documentation, or the code, or anything, is there to
> help people grasp this notion ?

ELisp section "String and Character Basics":

  A character is a Lisp object which represents a single character of
  text.  In Emacs Lisp, characters are simply integers; whether an integer
  is a character or not is determined only by how it is used.  *Note
  Character Codes::, for details about character representation in Emacs.

And the cross-reference leads you to a much more detailed description
of these issues.