Re: Indirect text properties

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Indirect text properties
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 00:55:50 +0200

Hi Alan,

On 17.11.2019 19:05, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

This is an idea I had a couple of years ago, and has recently resurfaced
in discussions with Dmitry (Subject: Several major modes).

The idea is that there could be several alternative sets of text
properties with the same symbol simultaneously in a buffer, the Lisp
code selecting which to use by binding a dynamic variable.  This would
be most useful for the syntax-table text property.

Could char-property-alias-alist help?

How would this work?  In textprop.c, the code would, on any access to a
text property, check its symbol's property 'indirect-text-property, and
if that is a non-nil symbol, access it's value (another symbol) and use
that as the symbol for the text property instead.  It's easier to say in
code, which would look something like:

     #define TEXP_PROP_END_NAME(sym) \
         !NILP (itp = Fget (sym, Qindirect_text_property)) && SYMPOLP (itp) \
         && !NILP (etp = find_symbol_value (itp)) && SYMBOLP (etp) \
         ? etp : sym

.  To switch to a different set of, e.g., syntax-table text properties
it would suffice to bind the lisp variable i-t-p to, say, the gensym
syntax-table-13.  Of course low level caches, e.g. in syntax.c, would
have to be kept synchronised, too.

It's a lot of work with likely some performance overhead even for the default case as well. It sounds like it could be a piece of the puzzle, but let's see if we get the full picture first.

Also, I think most (all?) of this proposal could be implemented in Lisp by just setting the 'syntax-table' on the overlays that cover different submode regions. With more overhead when setting but less overhead than accessing the values.

So, what use would it be?  What I have proposed to Dmitry is having a
distinct set of syntax-table properties for each major mode chunk of an
MMM Mode ("multiple major mode") buffer.  Say syntax-table-13 would be
the set for a CC Mode chunk.  Outside of that chunk, every character
would be given a space syntax-table-13 text property.  This is the
critical thing.

Thus all actions dependent upon syntax (and there are a LOT), could be
performed by CC Mode in the chunk without the other chunks getting in
the way.  It may not even be necessary to narrow to the chunk.

It doesn't seem like it covers all problematic cases. Maybe not even the majority:

- Would this win over "local" syntax-table properties as assigned by syntax-table? By the usual logic of how we implement property priorities, probably not. But it should, for this to work. - Some code can just be looking for certain characters instead of syntax classes with re-search-backward, etc. It wouldn't be fooled either. So this would likely require some "are we still in the same major mode" predicate. At which point we might get by without the space-syntax-table swapping entirely.

So what are the exact scenarios that your aim is to fix with this?

/Cc Vitalie, he could have some ideas, maybe even tell us how Polymode maybe solves this problem already.