Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, pl

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 13:15:52 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe we could do the following:
>
> 1- Get a new Gitlab feature which allows anonymous users to subscribe
>    arbitrary email addresses to an issue.
>
> 2- Then we can build an email gateway from bug-gnu-emacs to Gitlab which
>    adds the bug report (under some "gateway-bot" user) as a new issue and
>    then subscribes the original submitter's email so they get an email
>    copy on any activity to the bug.
>
> 3- Presumably any such email-copy comes with a specially crafted "From:"
>    address such that replying to that email adds the reply as a comment
>    in the issue.
>
> I don't know if Gitlab has feature (3) already, but Github does so
> I presume that it's not a problematic feature.

Yup; I think we have to have this if Gitlab is to be a usable solution
for Emacs.

> As for feature (1), while I understand that authentication is usually
> necessary to reduce the risks of abuse, I think that such a feature
> would be fairly low-risk (not much higher than the risk associated to
> allowing anyone with a working email address to register).

This reminds me of something that I've been meaning to ask -- how come
there's absolutely no spam on debbugs?  Presumably all the 40K debbugs
addresses are in all the spammers' address books, so the server should
be flooded by spam, but nothing makes it through.  What's the spam
handling system employed by GNU?