Re: jit-lock-antiblink-grace

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: jit-lock-antiblink-grace
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 19:26:28 +0000

Hello, Joåo.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 19:02:16 +0000, João Távora wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 6:46 PM Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:

> > provided it is disabled by default.

> It's not.  The goal is to enable it by default.

[ .... ]

> So can you explain your new objection?

Consistency.  All little tweaks to Emacs functionality which "everybody
is bound to want" end up irritating people immensely, so they are all
disabled by default - at least when new, including several I have
written myself.  Even Font Lock was disabled by default up until (I
believe) Emacs 22.

People who want this new mode will find it and enable it.  I can't
remember any arguments you may have made as to why this mode should be
singled out for special treatment, but I can't see any compelling reason
for its default enablement.

Anyway, it's for Eli to decide, not me.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).