Re: jit-lock-antiblink-grace

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: jit-lock-antiblink-grace
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 20:23:44 +0000

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 8:11 PM Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:

> For me, at least, point 1 doesn't hold.  Having the fontification
> delayed until 2 seconds of inactivity would for me be intensely
> irritating.

This is not how it works. The only thing that is delayed is
guaranteed to be unwanted, namely, fontifying as string
a big chunk of the buffer that we know wasn't a string
before the user opened a string.

So what my change does is that this unwanted thing
now comes later, if at all.

> As for point 3, there would be no benefit for me, at least.  I want to
> see correct fontification when I type a quote mark, not 2 seconds of
> inactivity later.

Again: this is not how it works. I encourage you to try it out
(and/or read the discussion from the beginning).

And you are confusing two things: One is immediate and
correct fontification, which I agree is desirable, but comes
at a large performance cost for languages that permit multi-line
strings.  The other is an improvement on the current situation.

Thanks,
João