Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, pl

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 16:18:57 +0100

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

> > I have two ideas for changes:
> > * Ask whether to include this part.
> > * Inform people that they could delete it if
> >   they don't want it posted to the bug tracker.
>
> Or offer the choice - via an option.

I don't think this is a good fit for an option, since whether or not
to include this data or not will be highly situational.

> 2. There are individual commands to insert each of>    the various fields, so
> you can easily include
>    any that you don't choose to include by default.
>    Most are bound to keys with prefix `c-o'.
>
>    `ebp-insert-all'
>    `ebp-insert-features'          (`C-o f')
>    `ebp-insert-load-path-shadows' (`C-o l')
>    `ebp-insert-major-mode'        (`C-o j')
>    `ebp-insert-minor-modes'       (`C-o n')
>    `ebp-insert-recent-input'      (`C-o i')
>    `ebp-insert-recent-messages'   (`C-o m')
>    `ebp-insert-settings'          (`C-o s')
>    `ebp-insert-version'

That seems like more typing (and remembering) than I'd prefer.  If we
want to do something like this, my ideal would be closer to how magit
handles chunks: 'n' to go to next, 'k' to kill it.

To elaborate, let's say I move point outside the "body text" part of
the bug report, on top of the auto generated data.  Here, the current
"block" (as detailed above: features, load-path-shadows, major-mode,
etc.) gets highlighted, and the keys no longer does
self-insert-comand, but instead the commands:

 'n' move to next block
 'p' move to previous block
 'e' edit current block (make "block" into regular text, disabling commands)
 'k' kill current block

Even better if you see a help text in the minibuffer when point is on
these blocks.

Just an idea.  Not sure if it's worth implementing, but I think it
would be useful.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas