Re: Problem with portable dumper

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Problem with portable dumper
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 21:58:13 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Stefan,

> That doesn't explain why you need a mutex object to be written in the
> dumped image of Emacs.
>
> AFAICT Tramp is not even preloaded, so changing Tramp should simply not
> affect the dump at all.

The changes in files.el and vc-hooks.el are not related to Tramp. I have
changed the find-file* family of functions as well as vc-refresh-state
to run asynchronously if indicated. Tramp just profits from it.

All of this was discussed in detail months ago, when I did work on that
branch. The pdumper was introduced later, while I was away from this
work, and now I have the said problem being back.

If you want to see what happened, compare doc/emacs/files.texi,
doc/lispref/files.texi, files.el and vc-hooks.el from between master and
feature/tramp-thread-safe. etc/NEWS in the branch says also something
about (condensed).

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.