Re: Pure space and overflow question

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Pure space and overflow question
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 16:16:29 +0200

> From: Andrea Corallo <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 13:54:42 +0000
>
> > That said, why does your configuration require more pure space than
> > any other on that same platform?
>
> Effectively in comp.c are allocate object that goes into pure space and
> all the code is under #ifdef HAVE_NATIVE_COMP.
>
> Also the constant objects present in every compilation unit can have a
> small overhead respect to the elc one.  This is because they include the
> data used by the 'top_level_run' function.

Do you really need the former to be pure, and to be dumped in general?
If so, why?

I think with portable dumper in place, we should have a more
fine-grained distinction between the stuff that really needs to be
dumped, and stuff that just happens to be there due to code that runs
at loadup time.  The latter should not be dumped, but instead should
be re-created anew in every Emacs session.  In particular, stuff that
is needed for compilation should ideally not even be in memory until
the user wants to compile something.

Am I missing something?