Re: erc-burnt-toast - Provide Windows Notification Center to erc with bu

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: erc-burnt-toast - Provide Windows Notification Center to erc with burnt-toast and erc-match
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 16:09:52 -0600

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 9:56 AM Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> For MS Windows specific implementation options, I cannot speak seriously
> >> about. However, ...

> >> ... this doesn't sound bad in my ears.
> >
> > Guys, you _are_ aware that Emacs has w32-notification-notify since
> > v25.1?
>
> Not me. I don't know what happens with Emacs on MS Windows, sorry.
>
> And alert.el doesn't know this either.
>
> > It only supports a small subset of what is possible with
> > D-Bus, but maybe that's enough for your needs in this thread?
>
> Corwin, you might investigate how this fits into your needs.

There is one feature I cannot see how to accomplish and I'm afraid I
somewhat centered erc-burnt-toast around it.

Burnt-Toast calls this feature Shoulder Tap Notifications, but I'll
tall them "STN", here.  I find this quite useful.  STN will fall back
creating to creating normal toast/addition to stack/whatever is
configured in WIndows.  When an extra argument "person" matches the
Email address of a contact, and given that contact has been previously
pinned to the task-bar, a second additional argument "image" can be
displayed hovering over the deskop.

I use the app "Buttery Toast" to make my start menu and task-bar
"extra hidden" (they did not show unless I press the "flag" key). In
any case, I often have (several) apps full-screen.  So erc-burnt-toast
makes a someone popup and dance over my full-screen Netflix when I get
mentioned on IRC, and my friends all think I am cool, and that Emacs
is cool, and so on.

WWYT of adding "SholderTaps"?  II haven't started looking at w32's
source so not sure what technical options may exist.

> Best regards, Michael.

Thanks Eli.

--
Corwin