Re: Two errors in 27.* with Windows

From: Juan José García-Ripoll
Subject: Re: Two errors in 27.* with Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 23:09:08 +0100

Apologies for following up here, but there are questions below that I
don't know how to answer:

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> Sorry, no, it isn't.  When you report this problem to the bug tracker,
> please make sure the description answers the following questions:
>
>   . what do you mean by "binary buffer" (or "text buffer")?

I have no way to debug this problem clearly. Obviously the problem is in
call-process producing output in a buffer and that being parsed in two
different ways: outside Gnus, it is parsed in a way that does not ignore
^M characters; inside Gnus it sometimes happens and sometimes does not.

>   . I didn't say that gpg's output is the problem, I asked whether
>     it's human-readable text or byte stream in this case.  I
>     understand it's text (the gpg version number), in which case I
>     don't understand why the code sets coding-system-for-read to
>     'binary' -- it sounds like a mistake.  Can you show the place
>     where this is done?

No. That is what I was asking in my earlier email. I do not know how to
trace where this happens. The most I have managed is to set an "advice"
function that interferes CALL-PROCESS and output properties of the
buffer that is current when it is invoked, but I have no idea how to
find which part of the code selects those values. Man, this code base is huge.

>   . you are assuming that using nil for coding-system-for-read is
>     correct, but I don't think it is, so if you can show where that is
>     done, it might be the beginning of the solution.

No, I am not assuming it is correct: I am assuming it is the way it was
done before. It was so in 26.3 and it is so in 27.0.90 before Gnus is
invoked.

And I am not being lazy: I am totally lost at where this variable is
changed or how. I have spent 4 hours this morning just identifying what
prevented me from opening email, and just managed to get what I showed
before. If I know where the wrong assignment was taking place I would
have provided a patch, not a bug report.

But this is kind of a serious bug: it breaks opening of .authinfo.gpg.

--
Juan José García Ripoll

Quantum Information and Foundations Group
Institute of Fundamental Physics IFF-CSIC
Calle Serrano 113b, Madrid 28006 Spain
http://quinfog.hbar.es - http://juanjose.garcia.ripoll