Re: Avoid duplicate emacs.exe / emacs-$version.exe

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Avoid duplicate emacs.exe / emacs-$version.exe
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 14:08:34 +0100

Juan José García-Ripoll <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Just a side note: the build-zips.sh script that makes the Windows
>>> distribution files always uses the flag -static when building emacs.
>> I don't think the build should use that.  It is certainly not the
>> default.
>
> So where is the default? Is the default build process not the one in
> emacs/admin/nt or, in case one builds from sources without creating zip
> files, the one in emacs/nt/? I am reporting data from running those two
> procedures. If you are claiming I am not doing the standard thing, where
> is the standard thing?
>
> Apologies if I may sometimes sound rude, but I am committing my workflow
> and part of my group's to Emacs for various reasons (org-mode, latex, ebib,
> etc) and I would like to contribute make the upcoming releases work
> nicely with our systems.

It's fine to critique things, but we also need fixes that are
better. The hard link ain't got to work in a zip. But hard-linking is
right for the other situations, so changing the build (i.e. make) to fix
this isn't probably not a good idea. So, we have a minor problem, with
no obvious solution. Again, I doubt that 6Mb is a problem for anyone; is
it causing you any difficulties?

If you are really raring to make Emacs work nicely with other systems,
then the two main problems with the windows build at the moment are the
lack of an MSI, and a mechanism for signing the binaries so they don't
produce a warning on running.

Phil