emacs-tree-sitter and Emacs

From: Jorge Javier Araya Navarro
Subject: emacs-tree-sitter and Emacs
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 21:23:49 -0600

Hi!

I'm the second contributor of emacs-tree-sitter, a fine dude linked the mail thread where emacs-tree-sitter was mentioned and I went through it.

First off, in the issue tracker we have a ticket open for making this project available on GNU ELPA, Ubolonton seems willing to make that a reality but this package has some special requirements that would make impossible to submit it to GNU ELPA or MELPA, for instance, we need to ship with grammars for some languages that require compiling and AFAIK there is no way to build external dependencies in *ELPA.[1]

That said, most GNU/Linux distributions ship Emacs with the modules feature turned off, AFAIK, which for me personally (and maybe Ubolonton would agree with me) is worrisome: I would like to everybody enjoy the benefits of this project without having to re-compile Emacs, not sure if this happens because Emacs itself ships with the flag turned off by default, clarification about this is welcome.

I have gone through
[1]: https://github.com/ubolonton/emacs-tree-sitter/issues/1
[2]: https://github.com/ubolonton/emacs-tree-sitter/pull/16
[3]: https://github.com/ubolonton/emacs-tree-sitter/issues/33