Re: Reliable after-change-functions (via: Using incremental parsing in E

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: Reliable after-change-functions (via: Using incremental parsing in Emacs)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 20:43:14 +0200

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 13:54:53 -0400
Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> If they needed to be informed of the change but
>>> `inhibit-modification-hooks` prevented it, it's a bug.
>>> Please report it.
>> Do you mean it’s a bug in eglot/lsp-mode or it’s a bug in
>> inhibit-modification-hooks (or the code who set it to t)?
>
> The fact that they're not informed is the bug.
> So it's presumably not the fault of eglot/lsp-mode.
> Whose fault it is will depend on the details of the particular situation
> where it occurs.

FWIW, I have described one such situation (unrelated to lsp) recently
here:

https://gitlab.com/stepnem/stripes-el/-/issues/1#note_309176403

(In short, `dired-readin' binds `inhibit-modification-hooks' to t, so
the buffer changes caused by populating dired buffers are not noticeable
in `after-change-functions'.)

I was wondering if I should report it as a bug, despite the workaround
not being particularly painful in this case (there's `dired-after-readin-hook').

--
Štěpán