Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 18:00:25 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Andrea Corallo <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 16:05:08 +0000
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > When we know a new feature causes significant slowdown, we either fix
>> > it, or provide a way to disable or work around it.  The problem is, we
>> > don't always know there's slowdown, as it frequently happens only in
>> > specific rare use cases.  (John said some time ago we should have a
>> > benchmarking test suite, but I don't think anyone's working on it.)
>>
>> https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/elisp-benchmarks.html ?
>
> (Any idea why this isn't in the ELPA repository?)

What do you mean?  I think it is (as external package tho).

> This might be a beginning, but the issue at hand is not to benchmark
> Emacs Lisp programs, it is to benchmark Emacs commands, so we could
> make sure we don't have speed regressions.

Yes is just a start.  I think everything is in Emacs core can be
classified as elisp implementation, I would not know where to draw a
line otherwise.

We could add benchmark categories if we start having a number of and we
want to better separate them.

  Andrea

--
address@hidden