Re: "Bringing GNU Emacs to Native Code" at the European Lisp Symposium

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: "Bringing GNU Emacs to Native Code" at the European Lisp Symposium
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 22:21:43 -0400

  > but I think it's perfectly OK to require using Elisp/l in order to
  > make use of some new features.  We already do that in various cases
  > (e.g. `gv-ref`, `thunk.el`, `generator.el` and I'm sure there are
  > others).

Those issues are not comparable to this issue.  They are facilities
for use in code, and they have trouble with dynamic binding for
inherent reasons.  Even in lexical binding mode, they may fail to work
as expected with code that binds dynamic variables.

None of that applies to a compiler.  Any compiler that transforms Emacs Lisp
into something else must be able to deal with dynamic binding.  So there is
no reason it should have trouble with dynamic binding mode, that only means
it is not finished.

--
Dr Richard Stallman