Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Daniel Martín
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 00:37:09 +0200

> Instead of discussing new, radical defaults (which I don't think are
> going to go anywhere, because annoying older users isn't nice), we could
> just put a button on the opening splash page saying
>
>      Current theme: Classic.  Click HERE to get the super-cool rad one.
>
> And then the HERE could enable whatever the kids these days want, and it
> could be ALL the mod cons.

I very much agree with this point. For these discussions to be
productive, we should try to reach a compromise, if possible, and work
in small steps. The idea of offering a light/dark alternative theme
prominently from the splash screen is worth considering.

Recently, modus-operandi-theme[1] and modus-vivendi-theme[2] have been
included in core Emacs. They are two light/dark themes that offer good
accessibility and broad face coverage for internal and external
packages. I'm not suggesting we should offer those exact themes, that
was just an example; maybe we can poll users/developers about what's
their favorite FSF-copyrighted theme.

[1]: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/modus-operandi-theme.html
[2]: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/modus-vivendi-theme.html

--