Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 07:46:07 +0000

Instead of discussing new, radical defaults (which I don't think are going to go anywhere, because annoying older users isn't nice), we could just put a button on the opening splash page saying

    Current theme: Classic.  Click HERE to get the super-cool rad one.

And then the HERE could enable whatever the kids these days want, and it could be ALL the mod cons.

I could perhaps agree with this (except perhaps that I would rephrase "to get the super-cool..." as "to activate the super-cool..."). But as Eli noted nobody has done this so far. And in fact I'm not sure it would really improve the "adoption rate". There are plenty of example configurations available (for example Spacemacs), and someone who would not want to make the effort of trying to find a configuration that suits their needs would quickly switch to another trendy editor anyway.

FWIW, my own experience with this kind of tools is that those who do not have initially a good non-technical reason to use it (for example "I want to be a guru", "Someone I admire uses that tool", "It is one of the freest free software", "It is based on Lisp and I love Lisp", "I want to have the freedom to change everything to make it work exactly as I want", "I like minimal user interfaces", "I want to do as much as possible without using a mouse", ...) will not use it in the long term. This external motivation is necessary to "climb the learning curve", so to speak, and "better" defaults will have no influence on it.