Re: Include which-key.el in the Emacs distribution

From: Justin Burkett
Subject: Re: Include which-key.el in the Emacs distribution
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 14:11:07 -0400

I don't see the relevance, sorry.  When I type "C-h" with
which-key-mode on, I see a paging hint at the bottom line, and that
hint simply doesn't work (and nothing else I tried does).  By
contrast, the vanilla "C-h" doesn't say anything about
describe-prefix-bindings, so the problem will rarely if ever happen.

Ah, if it's just about the hint, then yes, that should be hidden in that case.

IMO, this UI needs to be improved, certainly if we want to turn this
mode on by default.  For starters, how about using the usual Emacs
scrolling keys for showing the next/previous page?

I wasn't advocating for it to be on by default, but yes, the UI could probably be improved. It's a difficult problem (at least for me), because I wanted which-key to be passive and not interfere with how emacs processes key sequences. That's why I used the help-char escape mechanism to do the paging. As far as the default keys, that's an easy change of course.