Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 18:04:57 +0300

On 2020-09-09 14:22 +03, Gregory Heytings via Emacs development discussions.
<emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
> Would it not be better to have a "guided tour" (something like C-h t,
> but shorter and more "modern") for first-time users (those without a
> .emacs / .emacs.d)?  This is quite common in "modern" software, so it
> would not surprise anyone.
[...]
> (In fact, it would perhaps make sense to create a few guided tours,
> with an initial question "Are you a programmer? a scientist? a
> teacher? a writer?" with which the set of options could be narrowed.)

Why not instead just have nicer introductory material? E.g. videos that
walk through initial customisation for different setups, that discuss
and explain things, talk about tangents.

This actually is produced by the community, but it’s scattered around
YouTube.  We could ask prolific producers to prepare 20-30min videos for
some particular setup, showing how to get going with Emacs in that
particular niche.

The wizard idea from another thread is nice, but I’m not a fan of a
whole guided tour.  Most probably people would want to skip it.  A
blocker just as your first boot a program is not nice.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427