Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 15:17:54 +0200

Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 13:08:32 +0200
From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
Cc: ghe@sdf.org, casouri@gmail.com, tecosaur@gmail.com,
 monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org

2.1) the menu-bar is usually more "compact" with a smaller and bold font

In most builds, the font of the menu bar comes from the toolkit,
doesn't it?

(OR hided OR enabled xterm-mouse-mode because otherwise the toolbar is
pretty much useless as F10 is intercepted by most of the terminal
emulators or desktop environments).

If F10 is intercepted, perhaps we should also bind the command to
another key?  That's a simple and backward-compatible change.

I have discussed this with Stefan already and there are some small
backward compatible changes we can do here because usually F10 is
intercepted by gnome, toggle guake, gnome-terminal menu or tmux before
arriving to emacs.

Some of the (non exclusive) options are:
1) Bind it also to another key

2) Show the binding somewhere (in the same bar or modeline) when
xterm-mouse-mode is disabled.

3) Underline the letter in the menus that "opens" each menu from the
keyboard (as some Windows applications do)

4) Enable xterm-mouse-mode by default in more situations as most of the
popular terminal emulators are xterm compatible (gnome-term, xterm,
konsole, rxvt, guake, terminator)