Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"

From: Howard Melman
Subject: Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 10:52:57 -0400

Jack Kamm <jackkamm@gmail.com> writes:

> Using selective-undo, revert-buffer, undo-only, and
> undo-redo-only, it becomes a lot easier to navigate emacs'
> undo. But these features are not immediately obvious; I
> had to read the Info page to learn about them. Whereas,
> undo-tree is quickly grokked due to the nice
> visualization.

I've seen in various posts people mention commands like
undo-redo, undo-redo-only, redo, redo-only, and I don't know
what they are referring to.  I understand how repeated uses
of undo works in emacs and what happens when you break a
chain of them, but it sounds like people are describing
something else.

I'm using Emacs 27.1 (the carbon port).  I have commands
`undo' and `undo-only' but no commands with redo in their
names other than `org-agenda-redo'.  In the emacs manual the
only index entry for redo refers to the Undo node which
doesn't describe any command named `redo' or `redo-only'.
I've tried undo-tree before but didn't care for it.  It has
a command called `undo-tree-redo' but nothing called
`redo-only'.

Could someone point me at some explanation of what they're
referring to when they say redo-only?

--

Howard