Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 21:48:01 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 00:56:41 +0700
>> Cc: Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com>,
>>  Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org>, Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>,
>>  TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com>, Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>>
>> > `Options' >
>> >     `Show/Hide' >
>> >       `Line Numbers for All Lines'
>>
>> By CUA, Show/Hide should be a top-level menu named View.
>
> Emacs doesn't have a View menu.  And frankly, in an editor, too many
> things are about "viewing" for View to be of any use.
>
> Also, Options in many apps is not easily discovered, its place is not
> fixed: sometimes in Tools, sometimes somewhere else.  Emacs, being a
> highly-customizable application, cannot avoid having Options at top
> level.

I wonder if it makes sense to link directly to the customize “feature”
(for the lack of a better word), i.e. to remove options from the menu
and replace them with an item that essentially does “M-x customize”.
Customize provides an intuitive interface for many options and is not
constrained by the limitations of a single menu.

As a bonus it would lead users to learn more about Emacs and how to
customize it.

If the customize buffers are too intimidating or too “full”, perhaps
this means that we should find more groups and better organize them.

--
Ricardo