Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Philip K.
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 09:04:59 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > I'm not a maintainer, but FWIW my opinion is that what will most likely
>   > happen is that they will never agree to do this.  Menus are not "modern".
>
> What in the world?  This strikes me as incomprehensible.
>
> Who thinks "Menus are not modern"?  Why?
> What do they use instead of menus?
>
> (Perhaps they use a different kind of menu
> but do not think of it as a manu.)

I think that this is the case, most programmes seem to use the
"Hamburger Menu"[0] instead of a transitional top-menu. I'm not sure
what the reason for this change was, but I have a hunch one of the
motivating reasons was the attempt to merge applications and the window
frames (as GNOME does in the free software world, but Chrome, MS Office,
etc. do in the non-free world). When no space is left between the
application and it's frame, the menu must be moved somewhere
else. Another reason is probably the influence of mobile applications,
that use these kinds of menus due to lack of space.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_button

--
        Philip K.