Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 13:10:29 +0300

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 01:14:20 +0200
From: Ergus<spacibba@aol.com>
Cc: Ricardo Wurmus<rekado@elephly.net>, Gregory Heytings<ghe@sdf.org>,
  emacs-devel@gnu.org

3) Is it possible/should we: add a redo icon in the toolbar
conditionally when the mode is enabled?

else

4) I see a redo added in the menu-bar unconditionally... should we do
the same in the toolbar unconditionally?
I indeed think that the Redo icon should be added unconditionally
(enabled only when there's something to redo, like the menu item).

Are you not worried about the divergence between the menu items and the toolbar, and the actual available bindings?

And also about the fact the menu item next to 'redo' doesn't call 'undo-only'? Which will be contrary to the expectations of users who know the concept of 'redo' from other programs.

I think this created a potential for additional user confusion.

A global mode like undo-redo-mode, like suggested by Ergus, would avoid both of these problems. We'd only need to find a key for 'undo-redo'.

Perhaps, 'M-_' and 'C-?'? That's what undo-tree uses by default.