Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 15:50:24 +0300

On 11.09.2020 14:00, Arthur Miller wrote:
Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

On 11.09.2020 00:21, Gregory Heytings via Emacs development discussions. wrote:
I'm not a maintainer, but FWIW my opinion is that what will most likely happen
is that they will never agree to do this.  Menus are not "modern".

That's certainly the current trend in Emacs customizations, but it's not a
universal rule.

VS Code has a traditional menu. Atom has a menu. Visual Studio and IntelliJ IDEA
of course have them too.
When I used to make money by programming VBA with MS Office and C++ with
VStudio I used to turn off all toolbars and menus I could. Back then
computer screens where much smaller then today, and even today I still
fight for vertical screen estate on my computer.

I do too. But menus should be helpful for newcomers (and when they are not, we should improve them). So having "starter kits" disable the menus right away seems counter-productive.

BTW, the Unity DE and Sublime Text editor included an alternative UI for menus, where you hit a key (Alt, in the case of Unity) and then fuzzy match on command description.

For that reason, on my home computer I run a WM without decorations, Emacs
without any gui elements more then main gui window, Firefox & Gimp with
menus and gui hidden etc. I have never used IntellliJ software, but I
guess they will give you option to maximize the working area by
disabling the gui items too.

Anyway, I don't think GUI should be disabled by default; that should be left to
the user. I am really curious which distro you run :-)?

I use Ubuntu with GNOME and the Unite extension which emulates Unity to the best extent possible. That means removing application title bars when the app is maximized, moving their contents (such as menus) to the top panel when possible.

So it's the kind of changes as you did, but to a smaller extent.