Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 14:57:44 +0200

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 14:19:19 +0200
From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
Cc: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>, rekado@elephly.net, ghe@sdf.org,
        drew.adams@oracle.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org

Could you reconsider my proposal of an undo-redo-mode to:

- Add the extra icon in the toolbar.

I believe I already agreed to that.  We even had a patch posted for
it, and I commented on it.

I mean conditionally in the mode ;p

- Change the undo action in menu-bar and tool-bar by undo-only instead.

We need more opinions for this one.  If many people agree to it, I
won't object.

That's why we need the mode. Normally there is not agreement about
changes of this kind, so user can set it on demand if they prefer it.

- Bind undo-redo to something in the keyboard.

If you can find a good key that is vacant, sure, why not?

C-? and M-_ are generally used in the packages around and they make
sense with the current ones.

- To enable it in some of the proposed user "profiles"

Since we don't have any profiles yet, this is not something we can do.

- Not bother the users that somehow won't like to have all that.

Having said all of the above, I'm now asking myself (and you) why do
we have to have a special mode for this?  None of these measures
contradicts the default operation of undo via C-/, so we could simply
have this by default.

The mode will substitute undo with undo-only. This small contradiction
will start a war here.

Having undo with an undo-redo in the same "state" could be confusing as
the normal undo could do also redo IMO.

If the user uses the menus or the tool bar, the confusion will be
spared, right?

If the user expects undo-only behavior; then having our undo will be
confusing because not expecting undo becoming a redo at some point.

IMO we should have one (undo) or the other (undo-only + undo-edor) but
not mix them by default.