Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 23:35:15 +0300

On 11.09.2020 18:08, Arthur Miller wrote:

It's not a gimmick. The buffer has its own set of commands with navigation along
the branches of the tree.
I am refering to the drawing itself. When it comes to using undo, I am
sure you could feed data into helm (or other completion system) and
have a list of branches with fuzzy completion instead of graphical image
which probably would be as usefull or even more useful that graphical
tree.

It's hard for me to imagine how this can work at all, much less how it would work better than navigation in the said tree.

But as I said, I think the graphical representation itself is cool
and as you describe, for some users more clear option. I just undo with
M-x undo, in my case it is bound to C-_ and works just fine for me.

And I most of the time use the undo-tree-undo and undo-tree-redo commands which are more or less analogous to undo-only and undo-redo.

Using its graphical UI is indeed a somewhat rare occurrence.