Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 18:25:26 +0200

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 16:17:58 +0200
From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
Cc: ghe@sdf.org, casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org

>We are miscommunicating.  I said "similar to Company", meaning that
>the completion drops down a vertical list of candidates that overlays
>the rest of the display.  AFAIK, no existing completion package offers
>something similar.

Sorry to bother with this. But I don't see how what you describe defers
from Company. I mean, what is missing in company or what is different
from your desired behavior?

Didn't yourself say that Company is not for completion in the
minibuffer?  Whereas we are discussing minibuffer completion?

I agree that company needs some work, maybe check the bindings and the
default colors.

If Company can be used for minibuffer completion, then there's no
problem.

icomplete is the best we have embedded.

Maybe our best is not good enough in this case?  In which case, if we
want to offer newcomers an experience that they expect, we need to
implement something which we don't yet have.

Eli:

Looking deeper into this, either posframe and ivy are already in
elpa. We only need to add ivy-posframe to elpa. There is also a
which-key-posframe and even a company-posframe. So we have the whole set
of featured you want.

WDYT? Add all this to vanila :\?