Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 14:26:01 +0000

I don’t know if (and don’t think that--, really) you mean it but your replies come off as rather agressive.

That was not my intention. I've just reread what I wrote, and I don't see what you find "rather agressive". Though I admit that I was irritated by your "Someone who can't spare more than three minutes to research a tool that they may end up using for a life time for the majority of their workday is IMHO not a kind of user we should strive to support."

And it’s solved as easily as M-x load-theme RET modus-vivendi RET post Emacs 28 (or some point-release of 27 maybe?), or today with a simple package install.

Do you realize that what you write amounts to "In software A, B, C and D, to get what you want, click on this button. In software E, to get what you want, it's very easy, just type "Zk1v31!*". For them it's almost like a secret keystroke for an easter egg in a game. How is a new user supposed to know that they should type M-x load-theme (or M-x customize-themes)? There is not even a menu entry for this (AFAICS).

I don’t realise such thing. What I realise is, when I open VS Code, I don’t see an option to change the theme in the menus. Instead, I have to find preferences (or learn that C-, opens it), notice that it’s searchable, search for ‘theme’ (and also: know that it’s theme, not colourcheme or similar), and select a theme. I don’t see how that’s easier, especially when we have in the menu bar "Options > Customize Emacs > Custom Themes", and M-x customize-themes RET. It’s the same thing, rendered differently. And in this particular instance Emacs is better at it already.

Please look again. When you open VS Code for the first time, you have a big "Welcome" tab opened. It contains four sections. One of them is "Customize", and has three big buttons. The third one is "Color theme".

Another section is "Help", with pointers to a cheatsheet, introductory videos, and so forth.

This "Welcome" tab will be shown every time you start VS Code, until you untick "Show welcome page on startup".

The proposal I sent on this list yesterday is to do something like this for Emacs.