Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 20:47:02 +0300

On 13.09.2020 17:04, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I don't see what's so complicated you see about icomplete-mode. If you
have problems when trying to use it, perhaps you should ask questions?

It isn't complicated for me, I'm familiar with icomplete-mode for
quite some time.  I think it will be complicated and confusing for
newcomers, especially if they expect a very different style of
completion.

Perhaps. But it's a bridge between what the oldies

Company is much closer to what they expect, I think.

But you didn't even care to acknowledge the company-based example in my previous email?

To my knowledge, if we want to come close to what those other editors
show, our current best bet is icomplete-vertical (or something similar
to it) PLUS a packages that moves the minibuffer to either the center or
the top of the frame (or makes it seem live the minibuffer has been
moved, of course).

Those have an annoying misfeature of causing jumps in the window above
the minibuffer.

No, they don't. That's the point.

Did you look at the screencast gif?

Other possibilities exist, but my point is that if we want to offer a
better completion to make it easier for newcomers who expect something
like that, we should work on a completion style that they expect, or
something very similar, and icomplete-mode isn't.

Have you tried icomplete-vertical?

Whether we choose icomplete or Ivy, though, the issue of being able to offer a UI where the minibuffer is overlayed on top of the frame is something we should work on. And it's something tied to a lower level functionality than just completion styles (the minibuffer, the echo area, and the frames display logic).