Re: Changing line widths in the Emacs source code

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Changing line widths in the Emacs source code
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 09:42:30 +0200

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 07:28:04PM -0700, T.V Raman wrote:

> This could also be language specific. Languages like Java and perhaps
> also C++ end up with unduely long identifiers when you have a complex
> package/module  system in use --- that then makes 80 columns hard.

In the foreword to SICP [1], Alan Perlis writes

    "Algol 60, [...] lives inthe genes of Scheme and Pascal.
     [...]
     Pascal is for building pyramids -- imposing, breathtaking,
     static structures built by armies pushing heavy blocks
     into place. Lisp is for building organisms -- imposing,
     breathtaking, dynamic structures built by squads fitting
     fluctuating myriads of simpler organisms into place."

There was no Java or C++ around back then, but I think they fit
the "Pascal" pattern even better than Pascal itself.

Pyramids are built, remember, of huge stone blocks.

Cheers
[1]
https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-5.html#%_chap_Temp_2
 - t