Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 13:54:15 +0200

    >> We could set 'kill-buffer-hook' to a querying function in buffers
    >> created via the toolbar.
    >>

    Thibaut> There is already a (buffer-local) variable buffer-offer-save
which, set to
    Thibaut> 'always, causes save-some-buffers to query for save the
corresponding
    Thibaut> buffer, if non-empty.

Right, but toolbar-save doesnʼt run save-some-buffers. That could be
added, but it seems people feel toolbar space is precious (here the
default toolbar uses slightly more than 50% of the available width
when running -Q)

    Thibaut> And save-buffers-kill-emacs calls save-some-buffers with the second
    Thibaut> argument set to t, aka, "also save some non-file buffers".

    Thibaut> It really looks as if this scenario is already planned, but just
not for
    Thibaut> entry from the tool-bar.

That covers the 'exiting emacs' scenario, weʼd still need something to
cover the 'clicked the kill-buffer button'. Or if we really want to go
whole hog, we automatically save the state of buffers created via the
toolbar, and restore them on startup.

Robert