RE: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 15:57:36 +0000 (UTC)

> > I suspect that people who use a mouse but feel
> > that `mouse-save-then-kill' isn't useful have
> > never really understood what it offers.
>
> I’d say a major contributing factor is that with most touchpads this is
> a very unergonomic binding.  Pressing and holding mouse-1 and making
> precise selections is a PITA with these smushy plasticy cringy things
> already.

(I hate touch pads.)

But you don't have to press-and-hold `mouse-1' (or
touch-pad equivalent), and drag it to select text.

Seriously, read `Mouse Commands' if you haven't
already, and give it a try.

Double-click (`mouse-1') on a word, then click
`mouse-3' on another word. The selection picks up
whole words, from the first through the last you
clicked.

Triple-click a line, then click `mouse-3' on
another line.  The selection picks up whole lines.

[I'd like to see the double-clicking extended, so
that if you double-click a paren in Lisp it picks
up the full sexp, and if you then `mouse-3' another
sexp it picks up full sexps in the interval.  But
this is a bit trickier.]