Re: Build failure in gettimeofday

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Build failure in gettimeofday
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 10:06:48 +0200

> Please show the output of "gcc --version", and the version-related
> macros in the _mingw.h header (under your system include directory).

gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.8.1

and _mingw.h with

#define __MINGW32_VERSION           3021000L
#define __MINGW32_MAJOR_VERSION           3
#define __MINGW32_MINOR_VERSION          21
#define __MINGW32_PATCHLEVEL              0

Grepping my MinGW tree doesn't find any trace of _WIN32_WINNT_WIN8.
And indeed backporting the

# if !(_WIN32_WINNT >= _WIN32_WINNT_WIN8)
  if (!initialized)
    initialize ();
# endif

chunk to a release build and running under gdb I get

Breakpoint 1, gettimeofday (tv=0x82f5f8, tz=0x0) at ../../lib/gettimeofday.c:92
92        if (!initialized)
(gdb) p _WIN32_WINNT
$1 = 1024
(gdb) p _WIN32_WINNT_WIN8
No symbol "_WIN32_WINNT_WIN8" in current context.

The reason seems to be that the version of MinGW I'm using here has no
include/sdkddkver.h yet.  Sorry for the late check but my release
Emacs on this machine deliberately changes my keyboard layout from
German to American and I have no idea how to stop it from doing that.

martin