Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 14:22:58 +0200

> > For example, if I want to insert a file name with completion, I can do C-x
> > C-f (counsel-find-file), use ivy-completion to get the name, then M-o pops
> > a list of actions and tells me to press i to insert the file I selected.
> > For such an action which I do quite rarely, I find it easier than remember
> > how to invoke insert-file-name (including the name of the actual
> > function).
>
> That functionality is apparently provided by counsel, not by ivy.

I do not know how much ivy and counsel are separated here. I looked
for a pure ivy entry point to find-file before answering, but all I
could find was counsel-find-file.

On the other hand, both ivy-switch-buffer and counsel-switch-buffer
offer such a choice of actions on M-o.

> Presumably counsel also works with icomplete; is that combination
> missing anything?

I do not have any experience with that.