Re: solarized

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: solarized
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 15:06:56 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
                                                        Would it
> make sense to design a color palette, in the same systematic way as
> Solarized, but with only dark backgrounds, and the other colors meant
> to contrast with those?
> And then invert it for light backgrounds?
Of course it could. Solarized design made particular choices in order to
have same accent color in both dark and light versions. So if say C++
syntax used those colors, say pink for reserved words, they would be same
color in both light and dark version and retain same amount of contrast.

But that choice does not need to be a design demand for Emacs. Also
every theme does not need to have dark and light versions either, but it
is cool if there is a framework to create such themes with ease.

The framework I would like to see, either based on Solarized or base16
themes, could be made so that theme specify a palette of colors,
and then the software calculates "right" shades based on some contrast
values, intensity difference, whatever.

I have seen in color.el and shr-color.el some code to do something
similar (they could be merged both in one file: color.el). One could
also have "high-contrast" and "low-contrast" themes calculated
automaticly. Maybe :-).