Re: CUA-theme?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CUA-theme?
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 09:33:29 -0400

Daniele Nicolodi [2020-09-17 13:08:50] wrote:

> On 16/09/2020 15:29, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Would it make sense to define a new custom-theme (or minor-mode until
>> custom-theme can handle that) which makes Emacs's behavior match the
>> "standard" in most other applications?
>
> If I understand correctly the recent discussions, one of the main goals
> is to make Emacs more accessible to newcomers. In this respect, are we
> sure that using the "theme" concept, associated (outside the Emacs
> world) with customizing how applications looks, to configure the
> application behavior is a good idea?

I'm not interested in the user-facing part where we decide what name to
show to the users (where we likely won't give it a name at all, instead
we'll just have a button saying "follow non-Emacs standards").
I'm talking about the underlying technique.

It's easy to take a theme and then add further changes on top of it
(some of which may "undo" changes made by the theme) and it is supposed
to work reliably.  Whereas enabling/disabling a minor mode which enables
`delete-selection-mode` (for example) will often misbehave in corner
cases when mixed in with enabling/disabling `delete-selection-mode`.

        Stefan