Re: resize_mini_window question

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: resize_mini_window question
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 22:39:29 +0300

> Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 17:01:13 +0200
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> 1) Modify resize_mini_window to use the minibuffer's font size to
> calculate the height when Vmax_mini_window_height is an int. (don't know
> if it is possible to access the minibuffer font size from there or if
> this could produce some undesired side effect)
>
> 2) Modify the documentation of max-mini-window-height to specify that if
> an integer, it specifies a number of lines respecting to the frame's
> default font, not the minibuffer's visible lines.
>
> 3) Just force the text to fit ignoring that the number of real visible
> lines will be different than max-mini-window-height. (This will be seen
> as ignoring the max-mini-window-height)
>
> What do you think is better?

I agree with what Stefan says: our only practical choice is 2.
Minibuffer messages can legitimately use different fonts in each of
their lines, so using some different font will just move the problem
to other use cases.

In a nutshell, max-mini-window-height sets the limit in pixels, it
just expresses that limit in units of the canonical character height.