Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 21:39:54 +0300

> From: Eduardo Mercovich <eduardo@mercovich.net>
> Cc: "Philip K." <philipk@posteo.net>, self@gkayaalp.com, casouri@gmail.com,
>  stefankangas@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 15:09:38 -0300
>
> If we agreed on the general vision it's perfectly possible to do as the
> 1st step (MVP in some modern parlance) only the "General editor
> preferences" or the "Org-mode preferences". And even there, just a few
> of them.

My advice is not try to bite a too large chunk of this -- the job is
not easy even without that.

> The idea proposed here is:
> 1. distributions first, because they define the lot for themselves. If
> any of them is chose, the wizard almost ends there.

I don't see any need to do this, certainly not as the first step.  If
someone wants one of those versions, they don't need us.

> 2. General editor preferences (what was discussed previously in the
> list). While we can define defaults, giving the options with clear
> impact description allows the User to choose (or jump the decision and
> leave the default). It makes much less sense to try to define the same
> defaults for everyone, old wises and newbies alike.

My suggestion is to focus on this part alone.  Getting that right is
not easy, and if successful, will be a significant advancement, IMO.

> 3. At last very last, other non-editing emacs big applications, like
> mail and such.

Suggest to drop this one for now as well.  Org mode as well.